between both types of in text-references in your essay writing
4. Multiple authors reference. If the source is written by multiple authors, then you should state last names of all of them, at least in the first reference within the essay. Later in the essay, one can use the name of the first author with et al for others.
One of the most common sources to reference in your essay are books. The format of these references is the following: first comes the author’s name (or the authors, if there is more than one), the year of publication, then the title of the book in italics, the place where it was published and the publisher. For example: Kilgour, Maggie (1995) The Rise of the Gothic Novel, New York: Routledge.
– Quote plenty of documents: When referencing in essays, you should always quote some bibliography. The best thing you can do is include as many texts, documents and testimonies, as you can, in order to show the examiner your commitment to your investigation.
– Copy every quote literally: You must copy literally every single quote, always mentioning the author, their work, the publisher and the year, as well as the page where they took the quote from. The idea is that the reader should be able to find the same quote as you, on their own, in case they wish to read a little further on the referenced text.
– Add a reference section: At the end of your essay, you should include a reference section: that is, a list of all the sources quoted or referenced in the essay. The proper way of referencing an essay is to arrange the list alphabetically by author’s surnames.
– Follow the rules: Referencing in essays should be done by following the rules for documenting sources used in a research paper given by the American Psychological Association. APA citation style requires both in-text citations and a reference list.Reference the film in-text by placing the director of the movie in parentheses followed by the year the movie was released. Italicise the name of the movie when referencing it in the essay.– Don’t avoid bibliography: Many students, in order to avoid referencing in essays, try to do without bibliography. The problem is not every essay type can skip it: a , a or a , to name a few, should always be supported with some kind of quotations.
– Don’t constraint to one author: If you just quote one author, your essay will seem a copy of their ideas, instead of your own work.
– Don’t commit plagiarism: Referencing in essays is vital for avoiding plagiarism accusations. Quotation marks are mandatory: otherwise, you are just copying someone else’s thoughts.
– Don’t reference every document the same way: The way to reference is different if you are quoting from a book, a journal article or an electronic source. For example, if you quote a web site, you should always provide first, the title of the page and date of publication, followed by the organization responsible for the page, the date when you looked at the page and finally the web address.